Otaku World Forums Forum Index Otaku World Forums
A Place to discuss the contents of Otaku World
at http://otakuworld.com
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct KiSS Beta Test 0.02
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Otaku World Forums Forum Index -> KiSS Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dov Sherman
Otaku Ultima


Joined: 20 Apr 2002
Posts: 2784
Location: Otaku World

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Direct KiSS Beta Test 0.02 Reply with quote

After working out most of the bugs found in 0.01beta, I am now ready to release Direct KiSS 0.02beta.

This program requires DirectX 8.1 (or higher) and a video card which supports windowed DirectX. It uses UNLHA32.DLL to handle LZH decompression.

You can get Direct KiSS v0.02beta by downloading it here. Please don't redistribute this verion of Direct KiSS; the redistributable version will be released when beta-testing is finished.

After downloading the ZIP file, please place UNLHA32.DLL in your WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder. Put the other files together in some other folder (it doesn't matter where).

Please post any bug reports for Direct KiSS to this thread. Before posting a bug report, please take a moment to look at other reports in this thread to make sure you're not reporting a bug everyone else already found.

If you have requests for feature you would like to see added to Direct KiSS, post them to the request thread.

Bugs fixed in this version:

  • Fixed crash bug resulting from misspelled event names
  • Fixed collision-detection bug which prevented some collision events from happening
  • Hide-on-drag option now works
  • Corrected event firing order for begin() and set()
  • Increased artifact compensation size
  • Made DirectX initialization more adaptive and made error messages more informative
  • Added option to set chunk size (should help with pixel deviation problem)
  • Added "Close" button
  • Added Mouse Wheel option (to choose zoom or scroll)
  • Added Reset All Positions menu function

_________________
Dov Sherman
KiSS Librarian, Add-On Maven


Last edited by Dov Sherman on Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dov Sherman
Otaku Ultima


Joined: 20 Apr 2002
Posts: 2784
Location: Otaku World

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coldboot: Try 0.02beta and check the Misc section of the Options. In Chunk Size, try setting it to a smaller value and see if that gets rid of that pixel deviation problem you were having.
_________________
Dov Sherman
KiSS Librarian, Add-On Maven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Taya
Otaku Ultima


Joined: 26 Apr 2002
Posts: 1604

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran Tagi Agency again on the new beta. At first the free memory was 38 Mb, then it quickly went down to 7 Mb and soon it went as low as 2Mb. I guess it is my computer. Most smaller dolls (or average sized dolls) run smoothly.

The cooler problem is fixed for some reason. I love the new close button.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Slackbot
Mega Mega Otaku


Joined: 05 Aug 2002
Posts: 922

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo. Got DirectX9 installed on my box at home, and Direct KiSS works! So here are some comments, hopefully useful ones...

When I opened some dolls, the outlines looked really chunky. The one-pixel outlines would go from double thickness to half the width - vertically, I think. I tried changing the quality to "2x2, best quality" and when I restarted the dolls I opened looked dreadful! Totally chunked out. And Orko refused to open at all - the program would grind to a halt, and I'd have to close it because it wasn't responding. So I tried it at the opposite extreme, 64x64 (poorest quality), the doll looked better - but it still had the chunky monkey effect. Looking at the Dree Elle doll, I saw it was bad on the upper edge of her right ear - and the effect was the same from set to set where the dolls were on the same place, but if the doll moved the chunks would be in different places. I can make screen grabs if that will help.

I like the debugging report. That's very handy. It caught goofs that other viewers didn't. The goofs didn't affect play, but I like my code to be clean.

I opened "Mother Brain," the doll with the infamous seizure-inducing rainbow effect. Hooboy, does the palette swapping go slow, but then you warned us of that. I was actually expecting worse.

I really don't like that the default option associates several types of files with Direct KiSS. I accidentally let it go, then had to unassociate the files again. Since CNF was claimed by a different program, i don't know if that's going to cause me problems. Shocked

When you click & drag on an immobile object, the mouse pointer doesn't move. Erk. That's rather disorienting. I'd rather it didn't "stick" like that.

Sometimes when I move cels past each other I see a strange rippling effect. It looks like it's redrawing everything that the bounding box touches. i've seen a similar effect when working on zoom in Neopaint.

Whew, video memory gets eaten up fast. I don't know what caused it, but it followed the same pattern that Taya described.
_________________
I have a website.

It has stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ruthless
Otaku Ultima


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 2824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artifacts are still there. Since I'm the only one with the problem, I wonder if it has anything to do with screen resolution or number of colours. I'm currently using a screen res of 1024x860 and 32 bit colour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ruthless
Otaku Ultima


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 2824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experimented with the D3D settings on my video card. The artifacts have all but disappeared once I changed the mipmaping from "best performance" to "high performace". There are now no noticeable artifacts on Tomoko and Unoriginal's Snowman set, and only a few stray pixel dots on the Amelie set (which was the worse hit).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PhreakPhantasia
Mega Mega Otaku


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 611
Location: Halfway to Heaven, Halfway past Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I can't seem to open any of my dolls, with the exceptions of patryara.lzh, lylie.lzh, lildolli.lzh, litldoll.lzh, bunny.lzh, lylie.lzh, and ryarab2.lzh.

I got a strange error when I opened patryara.lzh. View it here. I get similar errors in other versions of Ryara and also in Bunny.

My computer specs (just in case):

Processor: 1.2G AMD Athlon Processor, MMX, 3DNow
Memory: 112M RAM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222)
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.04.01.0881)
_________________
it's everything he's never seen
the biggest deal there's ever been
described in light upon the screen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Medox
Happy Fun Otaku


Joined: 18 Jul 2002
Posts: 371
Location: Rochester, NY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps, though it's probably more my coding than anything else...

I tried opening my doll Lotte. When I open the doll, a window pops up that says "Lotte_ME.lzh includes objects which start outside the edges of the Playfield. Do you wish to temporarily disable bounding for this doll?" Whether I select yes or no, the doll opens fine and plays, but I'm not sure what is causing it. This happened with my Annwyll doll as well.

-- And this is more a general worry, but I've noticed other little coding problems that didn't affect my dolls' performances in PlayKiSS, but are apparent in DirectKiSS. What'll be the policy on this? Should I update my previous dolls and re-submit?
_________________
::Kawaii Not: the webcomic for cute gone bad::
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Coldboot_M
Mega Mega Otaku


Joined: 26 Apr 2002
Posts: 573
Location: The State of Confusion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dov Sherman wrote:
Coldboot: Try 0.02beta and check the Misc section of the Options. In Chunk Size, try setting it to a smaller value and see if that gets rid of that pixel deviation problem you were having.


On the 64X64 setting the effect is not as evident, but it is still present. At 2X2 the effect is atrocious, and FKiSS takes forever causing, for instance, transparency fade to do a slow blinking fade that never makes it to the level I intended before my unmap, or in cases where I don't unmap just sits there obscuring the rest of the doll in semi-transparency. I suppose the later effect is because of the memory that it takes up, but In the dolls I've examined so far 64X64 seems to be better quality and doesn't bog down the FKiSS. But as I said, it didn't totally correct the problem for me. I can upload another screenshot if you'd like, but on my connection that takes like 10 minutes for a jpg of that size.


Also, possibly related:

When I move what I call "pixel perfect" cel matched objects (objects in which the front cel and the back cel match perfectly with no overlap) the cels tend to shift very slightly in relationship to one another allowing a narrow gap to show through where the cels meet. In some locations on the screen this gap remains evident while in other locations they match perfectly as intended. I noticed this in all of my dolls (which are all "pixel perfect") and in 2 Ranmas so far.
_________________
Coldboot M: Game Freak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Key
Yappari Otaku


Joined: 25 Apr 2002
Posts: 242
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably pointing out something everyone already knows, but the "ghost" effect doesn't work. I only looked at an unreleased doll of my own and Joseh by Silent Angel, but the effect didn't work in either of these. Mangoo by The Bengal Tiger caused it to crash.

Sorry if this was already pointed out and I missed it! Sweat Bead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Batchix



Joined: 01 May 2002
Posts: 15
Location: Kansas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Not working under Win 2000? Reply with quote

I'm getting an error... "The dynamic link library d3d8.dll cannont be found in the specified path" I'm not very good at these things.. but is this a problem with Win 2000? Or is it something else? Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Coldboot_M
Mega Mega Otaku


Joined: 26 Apr 2002
Posts: 573
Location: The State of Confusion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key wrote:
I'm probably pointing out something everyone already knows, but the "ghost" effect doesn't work. I only looked at an unreleased doll of my own and Joseh by Silent Angel, but the effect didn't work in either of these. Mangoo by The Bengal Tiger caused it to crash.

Sorry if this was already pointed out and I missed it! Sweat Bead


Ghost has a bug in PlayFKiSS and ghosts things on 0 instead of anything but 0, my set that uses ghost works fine, but I was using a workaround proposed by Dov to do it the proper way and make it work in PlayFKiSS too.
_________________
Coldboot M: Game Freak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dov Sherman
Otaku Ultima


Joined: 20 Apr 2002
Posts: 2784
Location: Otaku World

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taya wrote:
I ran Tagi Agency again on the new beta. At first the free memory was 38 Mb, then it quickly went down to 7 Mb and soon it went as low as 2Mb. I guess it is my computer. Most smaller dolls (or average sized dolls) run smoothly.


Since Direct KiSS uses video card memory, it is very dependent on how much video card memory you have. If you don't have enough memory for all the graphics in a doll, it has to swap data from video memory to system memory and back again to be able to handle it all.

Slackbot wrote:
When I opened some dolls, the outlines looked really chunky. The one-pixel outlines would go from double thickness to half the width - vertically, I think. I tried changing the quality to "2x2, best quality" and when I restarted the dolls I opened looked dreadful! Totally chunked out. And Orko refused to open at all - the program would grind to a halt, and I'd have to close it because it wasn't responding. So I tried it at the opposite extreme, 64x64 (poorest quality), the doll looked better - but it still had the chunky monkey effect.


Setting it to a smaller chunk size is still your best option. The 64x64 chunk size only seemed better because the distortions were spread out over larger chunks. It seems that 2x2 is a bad size. Try 8x8 or 4x4. Before this version, chunk size was 16x16 so anything below that should improve it for you.

Quote:
Sometimes when I move cels past each other I see a strange rippling effect. It looks like it's redrawing everything that the bounding box touches. i've seen a similar effect when working on zoom in Neopaint.
Coldboot_M wrote:
When I move what I call "pixel perfect" cel matched objects (objects in which the front cel and the back cel match perfectly with no overlap) the cels tend to shift very slightly.


That's the distortion effect again. Try a smaller chunk size but not 2x2. I'm going to remove 2x2 as an option. 4x4 seems to work but 2x2 seems to backfire badly.

Slackbot wrote:
I really don't like that the default option associates several types of files with Direct KiSS.


Good point. I'll make that "off" by default.

Quote:
Whew, video memory gets eaten up fast. I don't know what caused it, but it followed the same pattern that Taya described.


Direct KiSS tries to keep the amount of video memory used as small as possible but there are limits to how much memory it can save. Also, remember that paletted texture emulation uses at least twice as much memory as it would on a video card that supports paletted textures. I may be able to reduce that a little more; I'll have to experiment.

Ruthless wrote:
I experimented with the D3D settings on my video card. The artifacts have all but disappeared once I changed the mipmaping from "best performance" to "high performace". There are now no noticeable artifacts on Tomoko and Unoriginal's Snowman set, and only a few stray pixel dots on the Amelie set (which was the worse hit).


Mipmapping?? I thought I had that disabled in Direct KiSS. Okay, if that's the problem, I'll go back in and make doubly sure Mipmapping is disabled.

Medox wrote:
And this is more a general worry, but I've noticed other little coding problems that didn't affect my dolls' performances in PlayKiSS, but are apparent in DirectKiSS.


Many of those problems were problems in PlayFKiSS; PlayFKiSS just didn't tell you about them.

Quote:
What'll be the policy on this? Should I update my previous dolls and re-submit?


You can if you want to but you might as well wait until Direct KiSS beta-testing is over just in case we find out that some of those errors it reports are mistakes by Direct KiSS.

PhreakPhantasia wrote:
For some reason, I can't seem to open any of my dolls, with the exceptions of patryara.lzh, lylie.lzh, lildolli.lzh, litldoll.lzh, bunny.lzh, lylie.lzh, and ryarab2.lzh.


I'm not seeing any problems when I try to open your dolls. What happens when you try to open them?

Quote:
I got a strange error when I opened patryara.lzh.


That's the artifact bug that Ruthless mentioned. I'll try to take care of it.

Key wrote:
I'm probably pointing out something everyone already knows, but the "ghost" effect doesn't work. I only looked at an unreleased doll of my own and Joseh by Silent Angel, but the effect didn't work in either of these.


ghost() does work but I didn't recreate the PlayFKiSS ghost() bug which causes ghosting to work backwards. Remember: ghost(target, 1) to make something ghosted. ghost(target, 0) to make it normal.

Quote:
Mangoo by The Bengal Tiger caused it to crash.


That one seems to load okay for me. When it crashed where did it crash? After the doll had already loaded or during the loading? If it was during the loading, did you see what the progress bar said at the time?

Batchix wrote:
I'm getting an error... "The dynamic link library d3d8.dll cannont be found in the specified path" I'm not very good at these things.. but is this a problem with Win 2000? Or is it something else?


Your computer does not have DirectX 8.1. You will need to update DirectX on your computer by clicking on START -> Windows Update.
_________________
Dov Sherman
KiSS Librarian, Add-On Maven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Key
Yappari Otaku


Joined: 25 Apr 2002
Posts: 242
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can load Mangoo now. The problem was that I was trying to open dolls just by opening the files by themselves, not through the program. Some dolls open fine this way, but quite a few caused the program to crash just as they loaded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dov Sherman
Otaku Ultima


Joined: 20 Apr 2002
Posts: 2784
Location: Otaku World

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key wrote:
I can load Mangoo now. The problem was that I was trying to open dolls just by opening the files by themselves, not through the program. Some dolls open fine this way, but quite a few caused the program to crash just as they loaded.


You mean it crashed when you double-clicked on an LZH file outside of Direct KiSS? I just tried that with Mangoo but it worked okay for me. Did you already have Direct KiSS open? Does it always happen with the same files? When it crashes, does it crash instantly or does the "Loading" box get displayed. If the "Loading" box displays, what does that box currently say when Direct KiSS crashes?
_________________
Dov Sherman
KiSS Librarian, Add-On Maven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Otaku World Forums Forum Index -> KiSS Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group